Destination Hotel & Resorts (DH & R) rounded up some of the country’s most delicious, healthy recipes for kids and then asked local children to cast their vote to choose the one to be added to the menu. The winning recipe receives a feature on the Kid’s Cafe Menu at every DH&R property PLUS a trip for a family of four to any full-service DH&R hotel!
In total, 75 recipes were submitted, 11,120 votes were cast and three recipes made it to the final round. So, here’s what the kids tasted:
1. PB&B Wrap (Going Bananas)
2. Multigrain Mac & Cheese
3. Funky Monkey French Toast
Honorable mention: Berry Delicious Cobbler
Tasting the foods was a hit, as you can imagine, but the lesson I was excited about was the voting process. It was Silas and Noelle’s first exposure to democracy and what it means to cast a vote. I explained the process several times, and at first, the kids were hoping that they could win, so it took some additional conversation to explain how the finalists were previously chosen and that they were playing a very important role even though they weren’t up for the prize.
I’m not sure that they entirely understood, but they were thrilled to give an opinion none the less and took themselves very seriously – I was proud of them!
So, after tallying the votes, the judges announced the winning recipe.
And the recipe with the most votes was…
Multigrain Mac & Cheese
By Lorin Cook
1 (8oz) package of elbow muligrain pasta
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons whole wheat bread flour
1 cup milk
1 cup half & half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups good quality cheddar cheese
1/4 – 1/2 cup Cornflake Crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Cook package of macaroni in salted water for 10 minutes and drain. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan melt butter
4. Mix flour with salt and pepper and add it to the melted butter. Wisk until blended
5. Mix milk and 1/2 & 1/2 and pour that into saucepan, stirring constantly.
6. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 2 minutes . Keep stirring!!
7. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 7 minutes more. Keep stirring!!
8. Add shredded cheddar cheese and simmer a few more minutes until cheese melts.
9. Turn off the flame
10. Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with cheese mixture
11. Spray baking dish with non stick spray and transfer macaroni to dish.
12. Sprinkle with Cornflake Crumbs
13. Bake 20 minutes until the top is bubbling and golden.
For a list of all finalist recipes, visit this link: http://www.milehighmamas.com/2011/04/21/young-food-critics-cast-their-vote-at-destination-hotels-resorts/.